…… in no particular order
1. Generator – founded in London, soon to open its tenth EU hostel – a juggernaut! Check them out
2. St.Christopher’s – teamed up with the ‘Beds & Bars’ group, funky, chilled, food and drink, good EU locations
3. Oasis – Lisbon, Malaga, Seville, Granada…. all very cool
4. Base – Australian & Kiwi hospitality at its best
5. Sant Jordi – an incredible 6 locations in Barcelona
6. Equity Point – great quality properties in Spain, Portugal, Morocco and USA
7. Flying Pig – Amsterdam, Uptown & Downtown… and by the beach in Noordwijk
8. Home – two central in Valencia, one in Barcelona… chilled
9. Dizzy Daisy – cool, four Polish locations and one Prague
10. Nest – funky Spanish, a favourite for travellers in Granada, Valencia, Barcelona, San Sebastian
11. Hatters – UK: Liverpool, Birmingham & Manchester
12. Smart – UK: multiple, central London locations
13. Journey’s – UK – three London, one Brighton… extending to Asia
14. Bohemian – cool hostels in Prague, well known group – look them up!
15. A&O – founded in 2000, largely German…. expanding through EU – considered the biggest chain
16. Meininger – well known German, plus London, Vienna, Brussels… set for big expansion
17.USA hostels – California anyone?! Backpacker hostels in Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego
18. Wombats – Austrian & German, recent opening in Budapest… next stop, Milan?!
19. PLUS – great hostels, plus camping…. Italy, Czech, German….. Berlin is amazing
20. Baxpax – funky German styling, three Berlin locations
21.Hip Hop Hostels – about a dozen in Paris – a collective
22. Palmers – posh UK, London times two…. and an opening in Zagreb, Croatia
23. Nomads – a brand affiliated with properties all over…. bigger in OZ & NZ… looking for world domination!
24. YHA – a brand affiliated with properties all over… big in UK, Scotland but some key Australia properties are best!
25. HI – a brand affiliated with properties all over… big in USA and Canada
There are so many great hostel chains and independent hostels out there… I have been so lucky to have visited a lot! Are there any not on this list that you think should be included?
Happy travels ))
Most European destinations mentioned are cheaply reached by budget airlines